Sunday, August 23, 2009

Santa Barbara Triathlon


This morning I participated in the Santa Barbara Triathlon, co-ed sprint version. While this does not have anything to do with real estate, it does have to do with our generous and wonderful community. For the past 6 years that I have completed this event, I am always blown away by the support and volunteer efforts in our town. People that are not crazy enough to haul themselves out of their nice warm beds at 6am and fling themselves into the Pacific Ocean, then to jump on to their bicycles still dripping salt water and pedal away only to then ditch the bike and slip on running shoes to trot along Cabrillo Blvd and “sprint” back to the bath house, still get up early to come down to East Beach. Whether they are cheering on their loved ones, marking the course for direction, body marking the athletes or checking people in to the race, it is quite an effort. Being a native of Santa Barbara, I go through crushes on my town…sometimes it is just what I am used to, the…another day in paradise mentality. But on days like today, I get a bit emotional as they play the national anthem before the start and I truly appreciate our special community. It is so much more than a tourist town or a town filled with the ultra wealthy. It is my town and your town and filled with support and excellent athletes!

P.S. I finished 2nd in my class…no wonder I am crushing on Santa Barbara!